Thursday, September 2, 2010

You Sound Like You're From Lun-dun

Today marked our first whole day in London... although we were a little too tired to take advantage of it!!

But before I get to that, let me talk about the night before. Upon arrival, I was sooo relieved to get off the plane and be at our final destination!! We got through customs really quickly and with no hassel which was surprising because I had heard some horrid stories about Heathrow.

Unbeknowence to me, the worswt was yet to come. There was a 45 minute wait on out bags once past customs, made worse by the fact that Ben's was 'missing.' After 20 minutes of looking we eventually found it at a help desk, for no reason whatsoever.

By this stage I was struggling to keep my eyes open - it was beyond a joke! Unfortunately, we had an hour tube ride before we got the Katelins and this only made my head/ eyes/ body more exhausted and yearning for bed.

Katelin lives on the outskirts of London in Arnos Grove. The area seems to be predominately ethnic, but has restaurants, etc. nearby.

We skipped dinner and headed straight to Katelins, but she was unfortunately out so we met her two housemates, showered and hit the sack - finally!!!

This morning I woke up to see Katelin sitting on her bed and didn't connect the dots that she hadn't left for work until I checked my phone and saw that it was 6am! I could not believe how early it was - before I went to bed I thought I would sleep for days!

It was good to see Katelin though and catch up on her London life. She seems to enjoy her life here, but was very excited to have visitors to greet her!

Once she left Ben and I went back to sleep and slept until about 10.30. I woke up feeling OK, but knew the day would be a tough one to push through due the the past 2 days of travel. I had to perk up though because we were meeting friends today - Sutho, Brocky and Noye who have all been travelling for 5 months.

We waited... and waited... and waited...

Eventually they arrived, fresh from Barcelona, but having to endure the Heathrow traffic and tube ride, they were a little later than we expected!

It was so great to catch up with them all. They sound like they have had an amazing time together and it just makes me more and more excited for the times I have ahead of me.

Before we knew it we had been chatting for hours and it was 5.30! Katelin arrived home and we got ready to go out for some dinner and then meet up with some more friends from Australia.

We had dinner at a pub in Camdentown. It wasn't too bad, but after plane food for the last few days it was nice to eat something freshly made! We watched the soccer for a bit and then headed off to meet our othre mates.

Admittedly, I was already feeling a bit of jet lag by 9pm - I was exhausted and dredding the long tube ride home, but really wanted to catch up with my good frien Pat Frisby while I could.

We met Pat, Sam Frisby and Matt Smale at their hostel - 'The Generator' - where they were all wildly out of hand, but GREAT entertainment!!

They told us some crazy stories of their first week in London, but Pat sympathised with my jet lag and understood that at 12am it was time for me to call it quits and get the last tube home... BEST IDEA EVER!!!

Tomorrow... Spain here we come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment